Monday, June 23, 2008

MacRitchie Reservoir Park

Macritchie reservoir park is a favorite running route among runners in Singapore.The undulating terrain provides challenge to the runners and it's trail gives runners a refreshing change in their daily road run.Runners will enjoy seeing different types of habitants such as the Pig-tailed Macaque Monkey and many other species.

Macritchie running routes

Short History of Macritchie reservoir from National parks Singapore MacRitchie

Reservoir was constructed in 1867, by a donation of S$13,000 by philanthropist Tan Kim Seng, as the first impounding reservoir in Singapore. It resulted from an increase demand for water in the mid-19th century, which grew beyond the capacity of ox-drawn water carts. In 1891, the reservoir was extended and the enlarged Impounding Reservoir was renamed as Thomson Road Reservoir in 1907. Then, in honour of the Municipal Engineer, James MacRitchie, who designed and built the reservoir, it was renamed again as MacRitchie Reservoir.

The forest around the area was protected from agricultural activities so as to service the reservoir as a water catchment reserve. Likewise, the forests surrounding Peirce Reservoir and Seletar Reservoir were also protected for the same purpose.


The park area is approximately 12 hectares and it was opened in 1967. It has become a popular spot for exercise enthusiasts, especially joggers. It is also popular amongst families as a park for morning and evening walks or just a stroll along the water's edge.

The park has a food kiosk, an exercise station and several shelters and benches that face the scenic reservoir.Getting to MacRitchie Reservoir Park

By Bus

Take bus nos. 52, 74, 93, 130, 132, 156, 157, 162, 165, 166, 167, 852, 855 or 980. Alight along Lornie Road at the bus-stop in front of MacRitchie Reservoir Park.

By Car

Entrance to the MacRitchie Reservoir Park car park is along Lornie Road.


MacrRitchie Reservoir park - Singapore National park

No comments: